Daniel E. Osadiaye
President, American Society of Safety Professionals
Nigeria Chapter, Nigeria
Conference Day One: Tuesday, 23 July 2019
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2019
2:40 PM REGIONAL TRAILBLAZER PANEL: Efficient and effective oil spill response by preparing an efficient and customised SLA for companies
Focus: New discussions on how Service Level Agreement can reduce Nigeria’s oil contracting cycle and oil spill response is now one of the major discussions within the energy sector in Africa
Key question: What are the major challenges for companies reducing oil spill response time by 40%?
- Learn from past incidents which were caused by lack of communication
- How SLA provide mines sites with greater control of their operations safety
- Supervising contractors for work-related safety issues
3:10 PM REGIONAL TRAILBLAZER: Upscaling HSE standards: Regulation for increasing safety at the workplace and decreasing fatalities by up to 50%
Focus: There are concerns that some operators in the Nigeria’s oil and gas industry are engaged in unwholesome health, safety and environmental practices; resulting in widespread ecological disturbances, including pollution from pipe-line leaks; blowouts; drilling fluids and refinery effluents; land alienation; and disruption of the natural terrain during oil and gas operations
Key question: What is the impact of correct HSE standards and increased productivity?
- What are the major challenges in using technologies such as drones or real-time monitoring technologies to improve safety in the energy sector?
- What regulations need to be considered while the implementation of technologies?
- How can Africa develop its own by benchmarking with global players?