Daniel E. Osadiaye
President, American Society of Safety Professionals
Nigeria Chapter, Nigeria
Conference Day One: Tuesday, 23 July 2019
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2019
11:00 AM REGIONAL TRAILBLAZER PANEL: Emergency response planning: Steps to developing an emergency response plan
Focus: In this session, you will learn how to effectively plan your emergency evacuation plan in case of a fire in the workplace by the use of new innovative technologies such as drones to increase the incident response by 40%
Key question: How effective can an evacuation plan be for controlling the actual accidents and deaths of workers?
• Communication is key: Setting up the right channels for effective and clear communication
• Evaluate current plans, procedures and incident or drill records
2:00 PM Up scaling HSE standards: Regulation for increasing safety at the workplace and decreasing fatalities by up to 50%
Focus: There are concerns that some operators in the Nigeria’s oil and gas industry are engaged in
unwholesome health, safety and environmental practices; resulting in widespread ecological
disturbances, including pollution from pipe-line leaks; blowouts; drilling fluids and refinery effluents;
land alienation; and disruption of the natural terrain during oil and gas operations
Key question: What is the impact of correct HSE standards and increased productivity?
• What are the major challenges in using technologies such as drones or real-time monitoring technologies to improve safety in the energy sector?
• What regulations need to be considered while the implementation of technologies?
• How can Africa develop its own by bench marking with global players?
Conference Day Two: Wednesday, 24 July 2019
Wednesday, July 24th, 2019
9:30 AM REGIONAL TRAILBLAZER PANEL: New thinking versus traditional safety methods: Challenging new thinkers’ concepts on safety
Focus: Since Africa is divided into many independent countries, all of them follow different standards and are on different levels when it comes to the quality of safety, security and the environment. During this Panel discussion leading experts from the health, safety and security environment will share and answer the following questions:
• Do we need 180 degree approach to reduce the number of work-related- incidents?
• If a decision is made, how to implement them step-by-step in the energy sector?
• What are the major challenges to overcome when it come to new thinking and traditional safety methods?