Global incident map: Criminal activities affecting oil and fuel facilities, infrastructure and vessels
The illegal activity affecting the Oil and Fuel sector can take many forms and often takes advantage of poor governance or security in a given state. The profits then fund violent non-state actors such as criminals gangs or terrorist organisations, which affects global security. Ahead of this year’s Oil and Fuel Supply Chain Security conference, Defence iQ compiled a map outlining major criminal events in recent years affecting oil and gas security.
Download the map now by filling the form >>
Key benefits of downloading the map:
- Understand the breadth of threats affecting the Oil and Fuel sector
- Learn more about the measures your peers are implementing against criminal activities affecting the Oil and Fuel sector
The information contained in this map includes:
- Pipeline theft – over 45,000 incidents that involved breaches to its oil pipelines took place in Nigeria from 2001 to 2019
- Ships-to-ship transfers – North Korea is known to use ship-to-ship transfers to import oil into the country, with a 2019 UN report highlighting a “massive increase” in ship-to-ship transfers of petroleum and coal products
- Cyber – Italian oilfield company Saipem confirmed in December 2018 a cyber attack on its servers had been identified, originating in India and primarily affecting its servers in the Middle East and infrastructure in Scotland
- Terrorism – Houthi rebels reportedly attacked two major oil facilities in Saudi Arabia in September 2019, forcing the country to half oil production
- Smuggling – It was revealed by the Malaysian Government than more than US$241 million had been lost due to smuggling of subsidised Liquefied Petroleum Gas between 2015 and 2017
- Corruption – It was reported in March 2019 that 51 million litres of jet fuel, worth US$50 million and managed by state-run Kenya Pipeline Company, had disappeared
The Oil and Fuel Supply Chain Security conference is dedicated to countering criminal activities in the Oil and Fuel sector, where expert speakers will share knowledge and discuss solutions. To download the full agenda of the conference, please click here.
Please note: That all fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.