Conference Day 2
9:00 am - 9:15 am Chairpersons Opening Remarks
9:15 am - 9:45 am Blockchain Applications in the Energy Sector
· This session will explain blockchain and the application of blockchain technologies in the energy sector
· What are the specific blockchain patenting strategies within the energy sector, where do these exist and what insights can be offered into the future direction of blockchain’s application?
· Explore the benefits of using blockchain within the current energy generation and supply systems, in order to improve both quality and security whilst capturing any IP that that is created as a result
Philip HorlerPartner, European and UK Patent Attorney
Withers & Rogers
9:45 am - 10:15 am Open Innovation in the Clean Energy Sector
· What challenges must be considered when entering into collaborative ventures with your competitors and how can these be overcome?
· When pushing new technologies in the clean energy space, what are the implications for the IP strategy?
· What are the wider implications for IP when collaborating with other industries to drive innovation?
Charlotta LjungdahlVice President, Group Intellectual Property
10:15 am - 11:00 am Panel Discussion: Digitalisation in the Energy Sector - What are the Game Changers and How is the Industry Changing
Digitalisation is increasingly becoming an important fabric of IP strategy within the energy industry. From AI to data analytics, with digital transformations improving operational efficiency right across the supply chain, from upstream to downstream, it’s now vitally important for IP leaders to understand the complexity of this new landscape.
· Which game changing technologies are transforming the industry?
· How can these digital activities be supported across the entire business?
· What are the implications for a company’s IP portfolio?
Fady SleimanGlobal Chief Digital Officer
Raahil BurhaaniChief Information Officer
Ahmad Zaky IsmailGeneral Legal Counsel
Saudi Aramco Shell Refinery Company (SASREF)
11:00 am - 11:30 am Morning Break
11:30 am - 12:00 pm The Energy Transition: Latest Analysis from IRENA
The energy transition is accelerating and there are new efforts for greening the economy in various parts of the world. Predictions tell us that the share of the world’s energy supplied through renewables will reach 30%, up from 26% today, representing a major change in the energy landscape. We have also seen fossil fuel prices decreasing for some time, which is now accelerating the transition further and creating pressure for oil and gas companies.
· The increasing importance of Renewable Deployment in the Energy Sector
· What are the implications for Oil and Gas companies?
· Join IRENA who will present their findings on the strategies and business models for the energy sectors of the future
Dolf GielenDirector Innovation and Technology
International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm From Hydrocarbons to Electrons: The Renewables and Digitalisation Challenge for SBM Offshore
· What challenges has the energy industry been facing, regarding renewable energy solutions?
· How can these challenges be overcome in the context of further innovation and collaboration?
· Discover what SBM's approach to their challenges in this space has been, and how they are implementing strategies for future-proofing their offering
Hein WilleCorporate IP Director
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm Post EV and Post-Plastic: What is the 20 Year+ Vision and How does this Impact us Today?
· How should IP strategies reflect the current landscape, where electric vehicles are leading the energy transition?
· With the plastic debate raging globally, how are the petrochemical companies responding to these increased pressures?
· What should IP professionals be doing now to future-proof themselves from the risks posed further down the line?
Bruce GirvanDirector, IP & Licensing
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Networking Lunch
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Interactive Discussion Groups
The chance to focus in on one specific topic in far more depth – choose one of the 5 topic options below. We will hold the same topics on DAY 1, so you have the chance to join another topic then.
1) Aligning IP and R&D Strategies for Sustainability
2) Database Rights and Asset Integrity Management
3) Key to Large-scale Portfolio Management
4) How to Drive Innovation Forward
5) Blockchain & AI
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm IP in the Renewables Landscape: From Solar to Wind Turbines
· With the global market for wind turbines estimated to reach $71.2 billion by 2022, what are the considerations when it comes to IP landscape?
· Insights into the currently active patents addressing the technologies and applications related to Solar Panels and Wind Turbines
· Wind Turbines and Hydropower – Rheology and Blade design
Professor Mark EngelmanHead of Intellectual Property
3:30 pm - 4:00 pm IP Management at Innovative Start-ups: Case Study from 'Green Tech' Startup First Light Fusion
• With the Energy Transition increasingly becoming a major focus for the larger, multinational companies, where do ‘green-tech’ start ups, such as First Light Fusion, feature in this landscape?
• How is this small but innovative company, which focuses on energy generation by inertial confinement
fusion, laying the foundation of its IP strategy, in regards to inventions and patents?
• How are they strategising in areas such as trade secret management and open source?
Martin YagiIntellectual Property Manager
First Light Fusion