Head of HSE
APM Terminals, Nigeria
Conference Day One: Tuesday, 23 July 2019
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2019
11:00 AM INTERNATIONAL TRAILBLAZER PANEL: Emergency response planning for surface mines: 9 steps to developing an emergency response plan
Focus: In this session, you will learn how to effectively plan your emergency evacuation plan in case of a fire in the workplace by the use of new innovative technologies such as drones to increase the incident response by 40%
Key question: How effective can an evacuation plan be for controlling the actual accidents and deaths of workers?
- Communication is key: Setting up the right channels for effective and clear communication
- Evaluate current plans, procedures and incident or drill records
2:40 PM REGIONAL TRAILBLAZER PANEL: Efficient and effective oil spill response by preparing an efficient and customised SLA for companies
Focus: New discussions on how Service Level Agreement can reduce Nigeria’s oil contracting cycle and oil spill response is now one of the major discussions within the energy sector in Africa
Key question: What are the major challenges for companies reducing oil spill response time by 40%?
- Learn from past incidents which were caused by lack of communication
- How SLA provide mines sites with greater control of their operations safety
- Supervising contractors for work-related safety issues
3:40 PM REGIONAL TRAILBLAZER: Electronic Contamination: Critical impact of electronic waste – How can we prevent this?
Focus: Many of the electric devices needed in the energy sectors require specific metals and materials which are commonly acquired by mining, an inherently environmentally destructive process. The quality of the equipment is mostly so poor that the companies need to buy often and the extraction of these materials used for equipment’s bring numerous social inequity repercussions as well. Several materials used in electronic products are considered ‘conflict minerals,’ or minerals purchased from conflict-zones. 60% of the world’s cobalt (a conflict mineral used in lithium batteries) is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Key question: What are the biggest challenges and benefits in implementing new approaches of electronic waste management?
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) on measuring and guiding operations of companies
- What are the right standards on quality measurements of equipment?