Post-Event Workshop Quality Incident Investigation: Wednesday, 30 October 2019
TIMING: 9:00 – 13:00
The workshop objective is to train technical personnel on how to perform an objective investigation to determine what happened in an incident. It is oriented to incidents in chemical processing facilities.
The ability to conduct appropriate and reliable investigation can help companies to prevent similar hazards.
8:00 am - 9:00 am Registration and refreshments
9:00 am - 1:00 pm Workshop session
The workshop will emphasise the key role the investigator plays for complete, accurate and detailed investigations by offering concrete example and key studies. It will also explore root cause methodologies often employed to determine WHY an incident occurred.
Key topics include:
- Investigation approach - Guidelines, scientific method, sources of evidence, basing conclusions on facts, examples of evidence, dealing with apparently conflicting evidence
- Investigation process – Investigation team formation, initial hypothesis development, time sensitive evidence, initial documentation
- Systematic data collection – Photo and video, protocols for evidence evaluation, evidence management, document collection
- Hypothesis development and analysis – Formulating hypotheses based on observations and facts, action plans to investigate hypotheses, validating important data, testing scenarios
- Final hypothesis - Proving/disproving hypotheses, resolving the final hypothesis
- Understanding how some technologies can help on this process and how to effectively interpret data by maximising their value