On this day in oil and gas: November 16 - Alaskan pipeline
November 16th 1973 : US President Richard Nixon puts pen to paper on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline Authorisation Act.
After Atlantic Richfield struck the largest oil field ever discovered in North America at Prudhoe Bay in 1968 and the world was shaken by the 1973 oil crisis, negotiation began on the necessary legislation to make the Trans-Alaska Pipeline a reality.
Construction began in 1974 and four years and $8 billion later, the 1,287 km network was complete and transporting 10 per cent of US oil production to end users.
Just don’t mention Keystone XL, anyone!
- The Top 10 Oil & Gas Companies in the World
- 50 Oil & Gas People You NEED To Follow On Twitter
- Oil & Gas Industry: An Introduction
- Oil and Gas Production - An Introduction
- Oil and Gas Technology: The Future Is Now
- FPSO Resource Centre: Introduction to Floating Production Storage and Offloading
|Have Your Say
Rate this feature and give us your feedback in the comments section below